Saturday, August 23, 2008

Jonah Hex #34 - DC


This was an interesting issue. First there's the nice looking Andy Kubert cover. It really puts you in mind of the old series. The story, by Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti is another yarn in the history of the man that is Jonah. This one apparently takes place during a time when Jonah fell the need to 'retire' for a little while. Not because of age or anything, just to get away from things for a little while. But, as you know . . Jonah doesn't always have to go looking for trouble . . . sometimes it comes knocking on his door. But really, the story wasn't anything too awfully special. It was very similar to any of the others that have preceded it in this series. I'm discounting any of those stories, but they all fit together in a neat little row. No the real surprise of this book was the interior art of Mark Sparacio. It was fantastic. I know some people might say that this style of art doesn't belong in this book . . . because it's a western, and the stories are supposed to be old . . . but, I liked it. I really liked it. We've had a few issues now with this painted style, and for me those issues really stick out. I'll be the first person to tell you that, to me, the story is just as important, if not more, than the art. It doesn't matter how good the art is if the stories not solid, or convoluted. However, if the story is solid . . well, this is afterall a visual medium . . . I say, make the book look as pretty as you can. Sell it!

No comments:

Post a Comment