Sunday, August 17, 2008

Huntress - Year One #6 - DC


I thoroughly enjoyed this mini-series. I thought the team-up of Ivory Madison and Cliff Richards, on the creative tasks of writing and drawing . . they worked very well together. My only complaint is that I didn't particularly care for the ending. I thought it was just kind of . . . there. There wasn't any unexpected twists or surprise announcements . . everything just played out the way it had for the last couple of issues. Which, actually, made it a smart book . . because everything progressed and resolved in a natural occurrence. And, as with life, the resolution ended up being a bit ambiguous. It's not what we expected . . or probably wanted, but . . it does leave things open to further explore Helena's life at a later point. I mean, Helena's story ended almost exactly as expected. But, as far as those around her . . . the Pope, Tony, Sal, the Mayor . . . those stories are left pretty open ended. And really the story wasn't even about them. They were just the inspiration to give Helena the resolution to try to do something right in the world. "What haunts me is not what happened. It's that moment when nothing happened, when I could have done something but did not. For most people, there is a space between intention and action. I cannot afford that space. Not in the kind of life I have. The kind of life that chose me. The kind of life I choose to have now." Like I said . . no surprises . . no startling revelations . . just good solid story-telling. I really did enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment