Sunday, August 10, 2008

Wolverine: First Class #5 - Marvel


The thing I enjoyed about this issue was seeing the beginnings of Alpha Flight, and then Logan's participation in that endeavor. I don't think this is the actual beginning of the team, per se, but I think it's one of the first times that most of it's members ever came together. Before that they were just weapons listed, individually, in the Canadian war machine's arsenal. It's hard to think of Canada, though, as having a war machine. But then I guess that would be their greatest trick, making everyone believe that they don't . . that they weren't even capable of such a thing. But, from the history of the X-Men, it seems like some of the biggest bastards out there either came from Canada, or out of the Weapon X program, which happens to be stationed in Canada. In the words of Angel's ex-girlfriend, in his current mini-series . . "Gees! You don't fixate much! Do you?" The other thing I like about this book is seeing Kitty back in her early days of the X-Men. We don't see much of her lately, so it's nice to see her back in this young, naive role. In my opinion, Kitty had a lot more influence on the team, and it's individual members, than anyone, I think, actually realizes. I think that would make a good 'What-if?' story-line at some point . . . 'What-if? . . . Kitty Pryde had never become an X-Man?' I think it would be interesting to see how things would've turned out differently. Anyways, overall I liked the book. I thought Fred Van Lente's story was pretty decent. And of course I enjoyed Clayton Henry's art. Although if you didn't know that he was the artist, you never would've guessed it. He used a completely different style on this book. But it was still good. Also anytime you can get another Wolverine book . . it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment