Saturday, August 09, 2008

Moon Knight #20 - Marvel


I've enjoyed this series of Moon Knight thus far. I think Mike Benson is doing a pretty decent job with these stories. I've enjoyed the various directions that he's taken Marc in. In this issue, they reprint Werewolf by Night #32 & #33. Those were the issues where Moon Knight first appeared. At the time they came out they were classics. They still fetch a pretty penny. But I gotta say . . after seeing those issues side by side with the current series . . . there's just no comparison. At the time they were considered cutting edge. They were written by Doug Moench with art by Don Perlin. Both were in the heyday of their respective careers. But again, compared to this issue, drawn by Mike Deodato Jr. . . . they look like kid's books. For real. It's funny when you look back at some of the issues of the period, how simple the stories and the art were. But at the time . . they were hot. I understand what they did, and why they did it . . reprinting these 2 stories . . but I honestly think I would've rather have seen them in their own stand-alone issue. Do a Moon Knight Essential book or something. To me they just didn't look right sitting side by side with this story. I'm not trying to diminish their importance. It's just my opinion. Anyways, the reason they did it was because Marc has a flash-back here of his first encounter with Jack Russell. I'm sorry it wasn't his first encounter . . it was a encounter that he was hoping he wouldn't have to have. He's thinking about it because last issue Marc killed the Black Spectre. Now he's a wanted man and he's hiding in the sewers of NYC. He's thinking about how he's feeling caged . . hunted . . trapped. And that's bringing back memories of Jack. He's thinking back to 1994, and he's got Marlene and Frenchie by his side. Anyways, overall, I thought this was a fantastic issue. If I would've had the choice of spending the extra dollar or not getting the reprints . . I think I would've voted for saving the dollar. But that's just me. I can be a cheap son of a gun. But I thought Mike & Mike did a terrific job.

No comments:

Post a Comment