Sunday, August 17, 2008

Blue Beetle #29 - DC


Maybe it's just me, but this issue seemed to be a political statement about the way this country handles it's borders and it's immigrants. But I don't really like that word. So . . let's say 'displaced citizens of neighboring countries'. That sounds better. 'Immigrant' isn't necessarily a bad word . . it just has such a negative connotation to it. So, as with anything that makes us feel uncomfortable . . . lets avoid it. That's the way this country handles everything . . . right? Let's just say that what I do in the real world, allows me to see how people treat others of different nationalities. They could be born in the US, and speak perfect English . . . heck, they could even be 2nd or 3rd generation, but . . . they get treated as if they just got off a boat, or crossed a border. To me, that's demeaning and ignorant. I mean, think about it. At one time, or another, we, or our ancestors, were all 'displaced citizens of neighboring countries'. And to me, with the world being as small as it is nowadays . . . every country is our neighbor. I'm sorry! I'll get off my soap-box. Anyways, we see this issue that a lot of times, people trying to get into this country are treated like someone who just broke out of prison. We don't stop to think that 9 times out of 10, they're just people trying to make a better life for themselves. I'm not saying they should be coddled, but they should be given more opportunities to enter our country under legal means. They are human beings after all. Sorry! The soap-box came out again. Lets just say that for a book that I didn't think was going to make it, I'm actually beginning to like this one. Because of Jamie's Hispanic origin, and the location of this series in Texas, it affords the story-teller, Matthew Sturges, the opportunity to address some hot topics as a natural part of the story-telling process. I'm also beginning to enjoy Rafael Albuquerque's artwork more and more. He's not one of my favorites, but . . . he gives this book a certain style and it's consistent from issue to issue. And now that we've gotten to know Jaime more, and he's learning the 'ins & outs' of the super-hero biz . . he's becoming a character that the reader can care about more and more. And that, after all, are the ingredients to a well constructed book. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment