Saturday, August 30, 2008

the Boys #21 - Dynamite Entertainment


Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson are incredible. They are both brilliant at their respective crafts and together they have created a masterpiece of comic history here. I think, years from now, we're going to find out that this series was instrumental in a lot of changes in the comic industry . . . much in the way of Camelot 3000 or the Watchmen. Yes . . I think it's that good. The irony is what gets me. I mean look at that cover. Does that look innocent and full of hope . . or what? On this Earth, on 9/11, the plane that his New York crashed in to the Brooklyn Bridge, instead of the World Trade Center. The Legend is relaying the events to Hughie, to give him some history on the Seven. That's when Hughie finds out that the whole tragedy was really the Seven's fault, or rather . . Vought American. VA had the majority of the defense contracts at the time. The president had fighters in the air patrolling the skies all summer, based on intel. When they found the planes they shot one down but were called off of the other one. However, it wasn't the President that called it off . . it was the VP. We're not sure why he stepped up to make that call . . it's not within his authority. But he did. And the Seven were put into action, as a test, to see if they could bring down the plane. They did, but not in the way they had intended. From the very start they screwed everything up and eventually . . they caused the plane to crash into the bridge. No one else knows that. Unfortunately the story's not done yet . . we have one more chapter to go. I'm sorry. I don't mean it's a bad story, I mean that it's a tragedy what happened to these people, but we aren't done with the story yet. I think we might be treading in an area that we shouldn't be with this story. But, after 6 years, we should be able to talk about it and even tell some story's of irony based on, or as an inspiration because of. I think I'm going to look around though to see what others think of it. I imagine it'll get some press. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment