Saturday, August 09, 2008

Madame Xanadu #2 - Vertigo


I think Matt Wagner and Amy Reeder Hadley have really given us a unique take on this character here. Last issue's story started out with our title character as a form of wood-nymph living in the times of Camelot. But Nimue's sister, Morgana has lofty goals. With her son Mordred, and his enchanted armor, she plans to bring down Mordred's father's kingdom, Camelot, and hopefully his father also, Arthur. But amidst all of this chaos, a stranger has appeared to warn Nimue of the hurtles she faces ahead. Once Camelot falls, he again reappears to warn her that Merlin's ambitions could spell doom for everyone, so he requests her help in binding him. "You are a creature of this land and you know all it's secrets strengths. You know how to disempower him. You are all that remains to stop this from recurring . . . again, and again." So she uses her whiles, and her magic to trap the sorcerer, but not before he can cast some kind of spell on her. I'm not sure what he did, but if I had to guess, I think he sent her into the future. We aren't going to know until next issue. As I said, I think Matt and Amy are really crafting a nice tale here. I'm not sure how, or even if, this will tie with the Madame Xanadu we know from the 80's. Actually, I'm not really even sure if it matters. But as good as the story that Matt has put together is . . the real star of this book is Amy. Her artwork is incredible. It's truly a breath of fresh air. It's not perfect, and it's not the best out there. But, it does have a certain 'something' to it. It's light and airy . . as I said, very refreshing. If this book stays on it's current course, this could definitely be another 'hit' for Vertigo.

No comments:

Post a Comment