Sunday, August 10, 2008

Avengers - the Initiative #15 - Marvel

I'm not sure I can explain why, but this is quickly becoming my favorite of the 3 Avengers books. Maybe it's just the sheer amount of characters, or the constant evolution of the cadets and their trainers. I can't really pin-point it, but . . I really do enjoy this book. I think Dan Slott and Christos Gage are doing a great job with these stories. This issues pencils are by Harvey Tolibao. They're pretty damn good. Not perfect, but . . this guy shows a lot of potential. Anyways, 3-D man came back to camp last issue with some news . . the Initiative was being infiltrated by Skrulls. He couldn't wait to tell somebody. Unfortunately, when he landed, the Crusaded was also there. He is a Skrull. He wasn't sent her to replace anybody, just for a fact-finding mission. But he's come to love being human . . or just maybe being with humans. Anyways, he doesn't want to be found out so he uses his ring, which was made from a piece of the Cosmic Cube, to alter 3-D man's perceptions. He reverses it, humans look like Skrulls and Skrulls look like humans. At least to him. So that leaves only 2 people he can trust . . Crusader and Yellowjacket. This is also how the Crusader figures out, for sure, that Henry Pym is also Skrull. But then the camp is called in to action. It seems the Skrulls have mounted an open invasion in Times Square. That's the part of the story that's a little iffy to me. I'm not exactly sure why they would do that. But anyways the point of it is, the Crusader comes to the rescue of many humans and during the course of the battle he comes face to face with one of his training buddies . . back on the Skrull homeworld. But he decides he'd rather live as a human than for his friend to betray him, so . . he kills him. I guess this was the battle that tested him as a warrior and made him decide where his true allegiances lay. I thought it was a pretty decent issue, with a great resolution. And maybe that's why I like this book so much. Who know?

No comments:

Post a Comment