Saturday, August 09, 2008

Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow #1 - DC


I have to say, although I enjoyed this issue, I still think it reads like an episode of Tales from the Crypt. Maybe it's just the way I'm approaching it. I don't know. Anyways, Joe Harris did the story this issue . . it was interesting . . but, very predictable. The art was done by Juan Doe. When I first opened it, I really didn't like it. It just didn't seem like it fit the story about Scarecrow. But, then as I read it, I realized that the story was actually about these teenage girls, his anticipated victims, and the art seemed to fit better. It kind of reminded me of like the art from Gotham Girls . . you know what I mean? Anyways, after reading it I thought it was ok, but, I guess, it just wasn't my style. As in the previous issues, the Joker really only appears on the first and the last page, which is why I think that I kind of feel like he's the Cryptkeeper. He's the 'barker' of the story. At least this one didn't go into alot of the Scarecrow's history. In fact we really hardly see him at all this issue. When he finally starts scaring the kiddies he's actually just accentuating their own fears. Really, he doesn't feed into it himself. He just uses his drugs to get their heads racing. Which makes you think that most of your fears come from the inside and the abnormal way that you perceive normal situations. That's really all he's doing . . amping up what's already there. Like I said, I enjoyed the story, it just had a weird feel to it. But, maybe it was just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment