Saturday, August 23, 2008

the War that Time Forgot #4 - DC


Since this series deals with warriors and soldiers from all across time, it appears that we're also getting cover artists from all across the time-period of comics. This month's cover is by Russ Heath. Looking at it, it really takes you back to some of those old sci-fi comics of the 60's. Anyways, I think Bruce Jones is doing a good job of setting up the groundwork for this apparent social experiment. He's giving us just enough information about each of the participants that we feel like we know what motivates them. But I think it's the mystery of not knowing why this is being done to them, and what the ultimate goal is, that is the catalyst to see if social behavior can be changed or modified. Their environment and companions are reshaped their previously conceived notions of right & wrong. Unfortunately I'm not as optimistic about the art. I really am a fan of Al Barrionuevo's art. I loved the stuff that he turned in on the Martian Manhunter. However, as I've said before, no matter how good a artist, or inker, may be sometimes they just don't mesh well together. I'm afraid that's what I'm seeing here from Al and Jimmy Palmiotti. I'm not discounting either of their talents, but, I just don't think their individual styles work together, or compliment each other. I'm sorry, I just think Al's art would look so much better with a different inker. But that's just my opinion. Anyways, I enjoyed the book. I think it's progressing well, and it'll be interesting to see just how Akisha figures in to all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment