Sunday, August 10, 2008

Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor #5 - WildStorm


5 issues in, and we finally get everything explained to us. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the first 4 issues, it's just that it took until now for it all to finally fit together. It turns out that Juliet, and the guy who's been chasing after Jack, are from the future. There, the world is covered under one gigantic city. And that city is overseen by 5, kind of, techno-gods. "Embodiments of our world, each serving as a nerve-center. Just as you do here, Jack. But on an infinitely vaster scale." The one they serve is named Plo'raach. And his goal, obviously, is to rule the whole world. Isn't that always the case? Anyways, to do that their goal is to change the past, which will change the future. And to accomplish that they're going to attempt to destroy 17 cities across the globe. I'm not sure what the signifigance is, but . . I guess it doesn't really matter. Obviously, since Jack is the hero, and with the aid of some of that self-same future tech, he jumps around the globe and saves all of the cities. However, after accomplishing his task in the last one, Tokyo, he is then confronted by Plo'raach. Apparently, he came back to the past also. I like Mike Costa's story. I enjoy the way he's unraveling the events. But to me, the real surprise of the book is Fiona Staples' art. I think, maybe, she's having a hard time keeping up with the schedules, because the first couple of issues looked better than the later ones. However, I still think she shows a ton of potential. She's got a unique style that works very well in this medium. Anyways, I'm enjoying the series and I can't wait to see how it all wraps up next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment