Saturday, August 09, 2008

the Mighty Avengers #16 - Marvel


Well apparently all these Avengers books right now are about getting their ducks lined up. This issue we go back to the beginning when Electro was hired to create the diversion at Ryker Island Prison. Then we are taken to Japan to see how Elektra was assimilated. It sure wasn't easy. She took down 3 of them before they could finally get to her. I'm guessing that Brian Bendis is doing this to try to allow all the books to get on the same page. It's kind of ironic that they're using up space in this book though, considering how far behind it was just a couple of months ago. I really hate to shoot a dead horse, but this is why I decided in the beginning not to follow this story-arc. I decided I would continue to buy the books I normally do, and if the Invasion story-line crosses over in to them . . then so be it. But I refused to get drawn in to buying every book that touched on to this arc. This issue is the perfect example why. I was talking in a recent blog about how sometimes I feel like the stories are 'dummied' down so that everybody can understand what's going on. Well this is one of those issues. When we started putting everything together, shortly after Elektra's body showed up, we weren't given all the pieces to the puzzle. Some of it we had to fill in ourselves. But now . . now apparently it's felt that we need to see the actual pieces to make sure we understand the story. Elektra got taken out. Does it really matter if it was by 1 or 8 Skrulls? They can mimic any super-heroes powers, so you gotta figure eventually they would make something work. If I had bought this book because I was following the Invasion storyline . . I would've been pissed. Because, you absolutely do not need this book to follow the storyline. Sure it fills in some blanks, but . . it's blanks that you pretty much knew what happened anyways. Maybe not the specifics, but we knew generally what happened. It bothers me when they have these big epic, all-encompassing, storylines . . but half the chapters in the middle you could've done without. Read 'em or don't read 'em. You're still gonna' know what's going on in the story. If you're an Avengers fan I'm sure you bought this book. If you're not . . don't bother. Save your $3 for a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment