Sunday, August 10, 2008

the New Avengers #43 - Marvel

Again, we're on the 'back-tracking' cycle of the Secret Invasion story-line. I like the way the story started out and unfolded, but now . . Brian Bendis keeps back-tracking to explain the way something happened. Ok . . remember when the Avengers and the Mighty Avengers both ended up going to the Savage Land at the same time . . to investigate the crash landing of the Skrull ship? Also SHIELD actually beat them there to investigate on their own. Then, come to find out, the ship is actually a life-boat that a bunch of older Avengers, including Captain America, had jumped on to find their way home from the Skrull world on which they were being held captive. Well, I think we all knew that these old Avengers were actually Skrull. And I think we all had a pretty good idea the most of the SHIELD were also Skrull. So why do we have to waste the time, and story-line, to go back and explain it? I would say most of the readers are probably of average or above intelligence. So . . I think we can fill in some of the blank spaces on our own. Plus, I think, there's more anticipation when we think we should fill it in one way, but then when we do find out what happened it turns out to be something completely different. I also like it when I find out my hunches were right. But, when the story is spoon fed to you, there's not much for you to fill in on the blanks. And, I think, the story losses some of it's anticipation and suspense. At least that's how I feel about it. That's not to say that I didn't actually enjoy the story, because I do like Brian's writing . . overall. I just don't like it when he does stuff like this. But what are ya' gonna' do? He's the writer and we're the reader. Either buy the book and enjoy it . . or don't. It's always your choice. I also enjoyed Billy Tan's pencils on this issue. He did a good job, especially with the way he portrayed Ka-zar and Shanna. Overall I thought it was an enjoyable issue . . for what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment