Sunday, August 03, 2008

the Flash #242 - DC


Say it isn't so . . . it looks like Iris dies this issue. Well . . I'm getting a little ahead of myself. This issue actually wraps up the story about Edwar Martinez and Spin Doctor. We find out about Edwar's origin and how Auerbach found him and decided to use him to 'Spin' the media. We learn all of this as Wally does what he's been tasked to do, retrieve Nzame the White Monkey, by Grodd. The problem is, with the burst of energy she exerted at the end of last issue, Iris has aged about 10 years in a blink. Wally really wants to be there for his family, but Grodd has put the 'suggestion' into his head and he can't do anything else until he completes the assignment. But by the time he returns, Iris is now about 40 years old. The weird part is that when she ages, she also gains the knowledge and experience of a 40 year old. Anyways, Edwar dies, but not before he uses Wally's compassion for him to fix all the anger in the city. Wally then takes his family to Gorilla City with him to return Nzame. He requests the Nzame uses his healing powers to fix Iris. There's some debate, but eventually Wally get him to do it, but just as they think somethings about to happen . . Iris' age progress' to dust. Which leaves Wally extremely pissed off and ready to kill Grodd. I like the story that Tom Peyer has put together over the course of the last year here. We've really gotten to know Wally's family and come to care about what their fate is going to be. My only concern is how they get out of this one. I'd hate to lose Iris, but . . I also don't want some cheesy way of saving her. I'm not gonna' complain though, until I see what's going to happen. I'm also glad Freddie E Williams is on the art of this book now. He's not my favorite artist, but at least now we'll get a consistent presentation. And we can concentrate more on the story. I really like this book, and I think the addition of his kids is a good dynamic for Wally's character. It's helping him grow up and mature . . and become a much better hero. But let's see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment