Monday, July 28, 2008

Checkmate #28 - DC


Unfortunately, I've recently read that issue #31 will be the final for this series. I'm sad to see this one go. Although I'm sure we'll see a much bigger presence by Checkmate across the DC Universe in the future. Much the way SHIELD is everywhere at Marvel. I just felt that this incarnation was much improved over the previous one. I had hopes that it would also last longer. But, like I said, if nothing else it has served to increase Checkmate's presence. Plus the structure, deployment and readiness of this organization is one that should be felt in every government and super-hero group. It appears that this final story-arc is built to introduce us to Checkmate's, and DC's, newest super-human countermeasure, Chimera. There's creatures from folklore attacking in various spots around the world. Apparently it has something to do with the state of the world we're in. Although I'm sure we'll find out what the real motivations are. Anyways, Chimera has gone to the Antarctica to fight Akhlut who is attacking a navy vessel. There have also been attacks in Peking and Venezuela. As well as weather pattern changes all over the globe. Meanwhile, Chimera's girlfriend . . or, Adam's . . has traveled across Texas to the military base to try to get some answers about Adam's reported death. Things just don't stack up for her. When she arrives she sees a newscast about the attack in Antarctica and recognizes the creature by the rose tattoo on it's neck. She know that it's Adam. I like the way that Bruce Jones has brought this character to life over the previous issues. I know he's a new weapon for Checkmate, but I have a feeling that he's going to be around for a while. I'm also coming to respect Manuel Garcia's pencils. I wasn't sure at first, but . . as this story goes along I'm coming to appreciate them more and more. I just feel like the book has a dark cloud over it since it's nearing it's end. Well . . . I'll at least enjoy the next couple of issues . . while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment