Sunday, July 20, 2008

Blue Beetle #28 - DC


I have to say I had kind of mixed feelings about this issue. Next issue Matt Sturges takes over on the scripting chores, beginning some new adventures for Jamie. This issue, while I enjoyed it, kind of felt like a fill in issue to me. It didn't seem overly thought out or constructed. I felt like this Dr. Mephistopheles was just kind of thrown in here to take up some space. I mean, the threat wasn't even real. Peacemaker and Dani Garrett show up, to explain to the gang who this guy is. Other than that though, they really served no purpose. In fact, it seems like the Dr., and his pet . . yes that's his pet on the cover . . are simply trying to survive. Basically he has a pet bulldog that he can somehow put into this transformation. But any damage that's been done has really been only for survival. Well . . that, and I'm sure the rambunctious playful demeanor of a pet dog. So, sooner or later, Jamie would've caught them in the act, or come across them. And seeing as how this Dr. is probably close to 100 years old, and this dog seems to be the only thing he has left . . Jamie can't bring himself to harm either of them. So there really isn't a whole lot of resolution to this story either. I really felt like Will Pfeifer just kind of threw this story together on his way to do something else. It didn't feel like a lot of effort was put in to this one. Actually, this almost felt like a final issue type story. You know, something just to fill in that last book. Anyways, next issue, Matt with be taking over on the scripts and Rafael will be back on the art. I'd like to get my hopes up, but . . I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment