Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ex-Machina #37 - Wildstorm


I love this title, but . . I worry about it a bit. Brian K Vaughan and Tony Harris are going to be launching a new book, over at Marvel. I think that's great, for them . . I just worry about the quality of this book with the shared responsibilities. I know it's just me being paranoid, I guess. There's really no tangible evidence to support that scenario happening, but . . I like this book and I'd really hate to see it suffer. I've followed this book from the beginning and I have to say this is the ultimate character book. That's really all this book is about. Sure the main character, Mayor Hundred, used to be a type of super-hero wanna-be, the Great Machine, but that's not really what this story is all about. Those adventures are usually just told in flash-back form as a way of supporting whatever's going on in the main story. As an example, the Mayor's last intern, Journal, was killed while in duty to the Mayor. The next intern turned out to be January, her sister. But the real reason January took the job is because she blames the Mayor for her sister's death, and has been trying to dig up evidence against him ever since. She's been in place for close to 2 years now. That's the type of storylines that this book is all about. Now we have a vigilante / pop-artist who's trying to make a statement around town by belittling the GOP that's supposed to be showing up for a convention pretty soon. There's a theory in the Mayor's office that it's someone trying to replace the Great Machine, but really the Mayor would like to dismiss that one. However, we find out this issue that is actually the case. When the Great Machine first showed up, she was is awe of him because she was a NYC native who thought that he brought life back to the city. But she never actually met him. So the Mayor really has no idea of her existence. So I think that all of this is really just a way for her to get his attention. He just hasn't figured that out yet. This is a fantastic book, and I look forward to it every month. I think it's filled with brilliant stories and great art. All I'm asking is, please, just keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment