Monday, July 07, 2008

Streets of Glory #5 - Avatar


This book is a conundrum. Overall, it's a Western. It has all the brutality, language and attitude of a down and dirty Western. However, there's also this soap-opera type aspect to it. This whole thing with Ben Dunn. His lost love, from 20 years ago . . the child he didn't know about, and the guy who's recently lost his brother and he's taken under his wing. But then there's this whole drama about this town that Ben's been stuck in for a little while now, Gladback. There's a lot of human interest here, and the town seems to be in transition. It seems that it could be on the brink of destruction, or the dawn of something new. It all depends on the forces working within it, both from inside and out. I really like the feel that Garth Ennis has given this book. Really, I picked up the first issue on a lark. Garth Ennis has been putting out a lot of independent stuff, so I'm not really sure why I decided to pick up this one. I think, at the time, I was really enjoying Loveless and Jonah Hex, so I thought "Hey! Another western. Why not?" I don't really know. But I'm glad I did. I've thoroughly enjoyed every issue of this series so far. Also, I think Mike Wolfer's art has improved tremendously since the first issue. It's not perfect. There's some things he could improve upon, but . . the style and overall feel it's brought to this book is absolutely flawless. Garth couldn't have asked for anything more when he had the vision of this book. However, on a sad note, we may be down to the last issue. At first, I didn't realize that this was going to be a mini-series. But . . it is . . and apparently #6 is the finale. That's sad. But . . I have the feeling we may see these characters again in the near future. I don't have anything specific, but it just seems that the creators had a really good time with this book, and, really . . this story-arc was just the tip of the iceberg. I think these characters have a lot more stories in them to tell. Personally, I can't wait to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment