Monday, July 14, 2008

Fantastic Four #558 - Marvel


I have a lot of Fantastic Four issues in my collection. In fact, I think I have close to 4 long boxes full of them. I'm not saying I'm an FF expert. I just happen to have a lot of books. But, what I will say, is that from my reading experience, and from what I like about the Fantastic Four . . I think that this run by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch is close to, if not, the best run on this book that I've ever read. The only reason I'm not sure of that, is because I really liked that mini series that Grant Morrison did a couple of years ago. I think it was called Fantastic Four 1234. Although, I could be wrong. I thought that was an incredible mini-series. However, I also really enjoyed that last story-arc about Nu-world. But, with some of the stuff we see in this issue . . some of the original ideas that are expressed in this story . . I think this story-arc could be even better than the last one. By the way, I love the new cover logo and graphics. Anyways, this books starts out fast . . and doesn't slow down the whole way through. Dr. Doom shows up in the Baxter Building, but not to attack . . he's asking for their help. Right on his heels is some new group that's basically trying to hog-tie him and take him back to wherever they came from. Ben happens to be the only one there, but the group of three . . basically treat him like their 'whipping boy'. They literally mopped the floor with him. It's pretty tragic, actually. Also tragic is the way Johnny breaks up with his newest girlfriend, Cindy. She's the one that's the larcenist. During one of her bank robberies . . in the heat of the battle . . her and Johnny 'got it on'. Remember? Anyways, he says there's a conflict of interest and eventually he'd have to take her in. Well unbeknownst to him, or us . . she's also a part of this new group. Apparently she was robbing banks to help them build their new headquarters. Which is shocking enough, but then we also find out that the leader of this group is none other than . . . Dr. Bruce Banner. But not the mild-mannered one. He's in his intelligent Hulk form. I certainly didn't see that one coming. And . . they're calling themselves the Defenders. Oh yeah, also this issue, we learn a couple of secrets about . . . Valeria. I love the FF because of the family dynamics. Yes they're all great characters, and have great powers, but . . it's the family . . the team . . that always functions better as a whole. And I love all their interactions. I also like the book because it's always fresh and original. But I gotta' tell you, there were more fresh, or original, ideas expressed in this issue than some books have in their whole run. It really was that good. This is a book, I feel, should be on everybody's reading list right now. It's gonna' be a classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment