Monday, July 14, 2008

Superman #677 - DC


This issue we're introduced to Superman's newest nemesis . . Atlas. And from all appearances, he's exactly whom he says he is. He says he's journeyed from the past, "I've come a long way . . from long ago. Yes, I have ventured. All . . for . . one . . thing. Superman!" He boasts of fighting Centaurs. So, I believe he's who he says he is. But . . I thought Atlas was a good guy. Yes when he first arrives he takes out the monster that's attacking Metropolis, but . . then he starts fighting all the Science Police. And he seems to be awfully angry at Superman. What's that all about? Well, we aren't going to find out this issue, this issue . . was just about introductions. Next issue we'll get some of the background story. Also this issue, James Robinson takes over on the scripting chores. From what I've seen this issue . . I think he's going to be great for this book. This issue actually starts out rather tranquil. Superman, and Hal and Krypto are up in space, playing catch with a Frisbee, while Superman and Hal debate the temerity of their current actions. The dialogue between them is fantastic. My only complaint about this issue . . and I've said this before . . is that I'm not really thrilled by Renato Guedes' art. I really would just like to see a much better artist on this book. I'm not saying anything against Renato's talent. I just don't really like his style and I don't think it fits well with this book. However, since I'm not in an editorial seat . . there's nothing I can do about it and all the complaining in the world isn't going to help if no ones listening. So . . I'll savor the quality of story, enjoy the character and his actions . . and try to choke down, while smiling, the 'liver & onions' that is the artwork. I'm just going to need a really big glass of wine to go with this meal. Oh, and I forgot to mention the wonderful cover by Alex Ross. Simply stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment