Sunday, July 20, 2008

House of Mystery #3 - Vertigo


This issue starts out with this beautiful Sam Weber cover. I've never heard of him before, but I love this cover. This issue was, really . . all about Fig. Somehow she has a connection to this house, but we haven't been able to figure it out yet. We know that before she came here, she thought she had built the house because she had drawn up the plans for it. Last issue we found out that most of the inhabitants, except a select few, are confined to the house. If the others try to go out the front door, all they see is vast emptiness. But for the select few, they can find some solace from all the visitors within, out in the front yard . . or, the yard around the house. But, they can't go any farther than that. This issue we find out that Fig actually talks to the house . . . and it talks back. But, since no one else can do it, and no one else hears it . . I don't know if she actually believes that it's happening. All this overwhelming evidence has been heaped upon her, but she hasn't accepted her fate . . . this is where she'll be spending the rest of her existence. And that's what most of this issue is about . . her futile attempts at escape. She can see past the gates and the walls . . she just can't physically get there. The last couple pages show the eternal prisons that others are trapped in, and believe me . . she definitely doesn't have the worst deal. There also was a quick little 5 page story in the middle, as relayed by one of the house guests. It was by Matthew Sturges and Zachary Baldus. The story was ok, but Zachary's art was incredible. The main part of the book is by Matthew and Luca Rossi on art. I really like Luca's style. I think it fits this book well. I know we're only on issue #3, but, so far, I like the book. I like the direction that it appears that the books going in, however, after this story-arc is done, it'll be interesting to see how they progress further. I assume this part is to introduce us to Fig, so, I assume, she'll be playing a major part in the future of the house . . and the book. I'm sure we'll see Cain and Abel around here at some time or another, but I'm kind of glad that they aren't in every issue. I may have just spoken to soon though. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment