Sunday, July 27, 2008

Genext #3 - Marvel


I really like this book. It's kind of moot though, because this is a mini-series, and the chances are, when it's all over, we'll never see these characters again. However, with good enough sales, and enough of a demand from the market . . who knows, maybe we'll get another mini shortly after this one's through. We're only on the third issue, and already these characters have grown on me. Chris Claremont has done a good job of keeping the focus on all of the kids, pretty much equally, so they all can become ingrained in our thoughts. I'm also really enjoying the artwork of Patrick Scherberger. The style he's using here fits this book perfectly. It's a book about a group of teen-age kids, and that's exactly how it comes across. He's also very good at his framing sequences. There's a scene where Becka is in the danger room working out, when she looses control of her powers. Hank is in the observation room and has to race to her side to help her. The way Patrick uses his framing to express the action and emotions of the scene were really good. I don't know that a veteran artist could've done it any better. As this series goes along, I also get the impression that we haven't met all of the X-descendants yet. This issue, Emma talks about Janine Gray . . Black Marvel. My only complaint? While I enjoy the unique X-Men stories that they've been reprinting in the back, I don't agree with the extra $1 added to the price-tag. If I had a choice I'd rather not have the story, and pay $1 less per issue. But that's just me. Anyways, I really do like this series, and I think Chris and Patrick are doing a tremendous job.

No comments:

Post a Comment