Sunday, July 20, 2008

Jonah Hex #33 - DC


To me, the story in this issue is really what this book is all about. We read about a little boys memory. It was the day his father died, and the day a man named Jonah Hex saved his life. As in the times of old, more often than not, these stories were . . embellished a bit to make them more exciting and entertaining. Thus was the folklore and the tall-tales of the west born. In this instance, though . . there really was no need to embellish. The boy was out hunting with his father, as he often had, when his father was surprised by a hidden bear trap. From there, his life, and health, went downhill. He used his warm body to keep his son warm on his final night. However, seeing as how they were in the remote winter woods of Canada, his continued survival would be up to him. Which needed to begin immediately because when he woke, probably following the trail of blood, he was surrounded by a pack of hungry wolves. That's when Jonah enters the boys life. He must've been in the area and quickly assessed what was about to happen. In front of the boy, with gun and blade, he quickly takes out the entire wolf-pack. What happens next, between Hex and the boy, is a series of events where unwittingly they end up saving each other. In the end, Jonah was the lone gun-man. He wasn't looking to adopt anyone, or become a father. He leaves the boy . . alone. Although, he was in a cabin in a Mountie fort. "I often consider that day in the woods when my father died. I consider how Hex saved my from the wolves . . . only to throw me to them again. In the end I realized that my father taught me about horses. And Jonah Hex taught me how to deal with wolves." The story was written by the usual team of Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti. However the art this issue was by Darwyn Cooke. I thought his interpretation of this story was absolutely incredible. I respect Darwyn, but I don't always like his 'retro' style of art. I will say though, I found this issue to be fantastic. I really enjoyed the story and the art. Leaving me . . pleasantly surprised. I definitely have to give all the creative talent involved kudos for this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment