Sunday, July 20, 2008

Joker's Asylum: Joker #1 - DC


I thought this would be an awesome book. It's the Joker. He has his own book. He's telling a story about himself. The sky's the limit . . . right? Well . . that's what I thought. What we got . . was a different matter. First of all I have a problem with the artwork of Alex Sanchez. It was the same problem I had when he did the art in the JSA Classified books. I will say, the guy shows incredible potential. He's on the verge of being really good. But . . he does his own inks, and I think . . that can be a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because you don't loose the feel of your work because of somebody else's influence. It think it's bad because I think sometimes you need that other person's influence to let you know when something isn't working, or, sometimes, to cover up minor mistakes. To me, it just feels like the guys trying to do to much here. You can definitely see it in his faces. The third panel on page 6, he didn't put as much detail into the faces, and they look a lot better than Joker's face in the first panel . . because he tried to do to much there. Anyways, I don't want to just rag on Alex because the story wasn't very good either. Every time there was a moment of anticipation . . and you thought the Joker was going to do something outrageous . . it fizzled out. After the third time . . it was just a big let down. Now, I understand what Arvid Nelson was trying to get across. He was saying that there's just as many 'evil' people out there, but they don't appear 'evil', or they're not out-right 'evil' because . . . they're just doing their job . . . they're just going with the flow . . . nobody else did anything . . . I'm just doing what I'm told . . . yada, yada yada! He's trying to say that it's easy to judge the person that does the out-right act of violence . . the Joker . . but what about the people that went along with it? They didn't try to stop it . . when they could have. Aren't they just as much accountable for the results as the actual perpetrator? Anyways . . I think, that's what he was trying to get across. But . . . it came up short . . and I think, a little lame. To me, this issue was a waste of $3. Even with the awesome Andy Kubert cover. We'll see what happens next issue when the Joker talks about the Penguin. Jason Aaron's writing it, and Jason Pearson is on the art. I have high hopes just because of Jason Pearson. But . . I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment