Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor #4 - WildStorm


I'm really liking this secret origin story of Jack Hawksmoor. First of all, I think Mike Costa is doing an incredible job with this story. We're seeing Jack's problems with the city of San Francisco, and his personal problems . . as far as relationships go. Then he's infusing that story with bits and pieces of Jack's early life. This issue we learn about his mother and sister, Katy. He blames the city for their deaths because it called him away from them, when they were on a bridge, and then the big quake hit. He was to far away to save them. But I have a feeling we don't know the whole story there. Anyways, we also have these people that supposedly are from the future and came back to perform the operations on Jack when he was a kid, turning him in to who he is today. Then there's the little baubles hidden all around the city . . they've been there for years . . that negate Jack's powers. On top of all that, Jack gets the ultimate stab in the back when, at the end of this issue, we find out that Juliet was also in on the whole thing. Apparently he's been set-up right from the start. Secondly, I'm really impressed with the artwork of Fiona Staples. I think she shows incredible talent and potential. She's not quite there yet, but overall I really like her perspective and style. I also like the way her work is colored and shaded. It gives it a certain feeling. I've always liked Jack's character, but . . he wasn't my favorite. However, with this series, and the insights were gaining, I see there's alot more to him than we ever realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment