Saturday, July 19, 2008

DC Special: Raven #5 - DC


This issue wraps up the series here for Raven. Although I'm sure we'll see plenty of her in the new Titans title. It appears as if Raven has taken the problem of the Medusa mask away from the world entirely . . when she destroys it, but . . Shay's father, who was trying to use it to cure his daughter through emotions, detailed scanned it into the University's computer. For the mask, it appears that's enough for it to retain some of it's power. In the epilogue, it looks like it still has some influence. But the real heart of this story was Raven herself. Now that she's a teenager, it seems as if she'll finally be able to enjoy her life a bit. It was nice to see her in the normal teen-age scenes with her high-school friends. I enjoyed the normal teen-age banter, conversations and concerns. "Shoes? Tell me you've got more than 1 pair. You can't be that much of a freak." I thought Marv Wolfman did a fantastic job with this book. The setting, and the mood, were both perfect for the character. But I feel the real star of the book, creatively, was Damion Scott. I assume that this is his return to the DC Universe, and I couldn't be more happy. I really enjoy his style. I especially liked the way he infused it with a little psychedelic and 'street' in this series. It really came across well. I hope we see him in another series soon. This was a thoroughly enjoyable mini-series. All I can say is . . . keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment