Sunday, July 20, 2008

Madame Xanadu #1 - Vertigo



I 'get' the story that's presented here. I'm just not sure I understand how it's all related to Madame Xanadu. If I'm correct, I think that this wood nymph, Nimue, is the Madame. I guess this is how she appeared around the time of Camelot . . as a 16 year old wood nymph. And, if I'm correct, her one sister, Morgana, is actually Morgan Le Fey. And the magician that she sleeps with, for him to do favors for her, is actually Merlin. That's if I'm understanding what I'm reading here correctly. But, since were dealing with magic . . things are always left a little open to interpretation. Therefore, I think what we're getting here is actually some of Madame Xanadu's history. Which means that she's very old. The magician makes reference to her being at least 160 years old, if not older, at the time of Camelot. So . . . that makes her positively ancient now. From what we see this issue, I think I like the way the story is progressing. It'll be interesting to see what her powers are now . . in modern times. And how many of her old 'relatives' are still around. So far . . as if I had any doubt . . I'm enjoying the story that Matt Wagner is constructing here. But what really surprised me is the artwork of Amy Reeder Hadley. I don't know who she is, or where she came from, but I'm really liking the style that she's using here. I like the soft, crisp lines and the kind of wispy background. It really has a good feel to it. But, it's only the first issue, so it's a little hard for me to determine the quality of the book. I don't have anything to compare it to. All I know is that I enjoyed it. I thought it was a light pleasant read. We'll see if I still feel that way after a couple more issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment