Saturday, July 26, 2008

Booster Gold #1,000,000 - DC


We get a teaser on the cover . . . "Who is Peter Platinum?", but honestly, we barely even touch on his character. We find out that he stole his idea from Booster, being the ultimate super-hero franchise, and we know that Rip Hunter has taken away his costume before . . because it employs some of Rips own time-travelling technology. But, really, that's all we know about the guy. I think his main purpose was to make Booster think about the type of hero that he's encouraged . . although not directly. This issue is mostly about Booster coming to terms with what he's doing, and how he feels about being the unknown hero. But then, when he's at his lowest, Batman springs a surprise on him. He's got pictures of Booster's attempt to try to save Barbara from being shot by the Joker. Apparently the Joker has some kind of Joker-cam on him. Anyways, Bruce has had them for years because he could tell from the picture that the Booster in them was older than Michael at the time. And Bruce also offers him some words of encouragement . . "I don't know what you're up to, but I can see the pain and punishment you took from the Joker. You were literally tortured. You risked your life for a chance she might walk again . . . . Let the world think you're crazy if that's what it takes to be the best you can be, Michael. You proved me wrong. You proved yourself wrong. If you ever need someone to talk to . . I might not be Ted Kord, but I'll listen . . . Whatever you're doing . . keep it up." But the other surprise is what really keeps him in the game . . . Rip has brought back Michael's sister, Michelle, from the future. There she died in an explosion. But Rip grabbed her out right before it happens. Now, Michael is truly 100% in the game. As the final surprise, Michael and Michelle go off to spend some time together. After they leave, Rip is feeling a little sentimental and whispers . . . "Keep it up . . . dad." I gotta say . . I sort of suspected that . . but I didn't want to make the leap. But, I also don't think that Rip will ever tell him. So next issue . . issue #11, is going to kind of wrap up this first year's story. And then . . we get a new creative team. It starts out with Chuck Dixon writing the next couple of issues, and then Rick Remender will take over the stories with Pat Olliffe and Jerry Ordway doing the art. I'm really sad to see Geoff Johns and Jeff Katz leave this book. They've really been doing a terrific job. But we do get an issue or 2 more of Dan Jurgens art. I also have to give a hats off to him, also. His pencils, with Norm Rapmund's ink, have really brought this book to life. Or maybe I should say, back to life, because this series is miles ahead of the previous one. I'm really enjoying it, and I hope it sticks around for the long run. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment