Monday, July 07, 2008

Ghost Rider #24 - Marvel




Tan Eng Haut is not one of my favorite artists, but . . in the time since he did the Doom Patrol, I think he's grown tremendously. However, from that previous viewing, I was a bit hesitant as to his contribution on this title. I mean, after-all, this is the Ghost Rider. And there is a certain . . style, to him. I wasn't sure that Tan's . . . vision . . would necessarily adapt to this character. I'll admit . . I was wrong. Any misgivings I may have been harboring were completely erased after seeing the first 2 issues. Apparently Tan's doing his own inks also. This issue we finally see Tan's vision of Johnny in full blaze . . and it's . . brilliant. The way he draws the Ghost Rider's face and flames is actually kind of eiree looking. As much as I love Mark and Salvador's work on this title, I'm really getting in to this new look. Plus . . it's different. It's unique and very stylized. This issue Johnny's quest to get to Zadkiel has taken him to a prison. There's a minister here who murdered his whole congregation because of the 'angels' that were talking to him. It appears that's who Johnny has come here to find. But then, there's also this guy called the Deacon, who is like this 8-foot Nazi monster. At the end of this issue, we really don't know how this is going to play out. We also saw the face of Danny Ketch last issue, but he doesn't make an appearance in this one. So he's still lurking around out there somewhere. I really like the direction that Jason Aaron is taking with this book right now. He seems to be infusing a lot of new ideas, and this whole 'avenging angel' thing is a completely new direction. Something, I think, this character sorely needed. I have to say, as much as I've enjoyed this book in the past, I really like it now . . better than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment