Thursday, July 24, 2008

Astonishing X-Men #25 - Marvel


What an amazing issue. First of all Simone Bianchi's artwork is simply incredible. As fabulous as the cover looks . . the inside is even better. Then . . Warren Ellis takes over as the writer with this issue . . and in usual fashion, he's brought a boat-load of ideas on board already. I know some people won't agree with me, but . . as much as I loved the first 24 issues . . I'm afraid this run, with Warren and Simone, for as long as it may last . . may be even better. I think the things they have in store for this team . . and with it's new, current, direction . . we may just surpass what this book has already achieved. And the best part of the whole thing? This is just the beginning. I like that I picked up the sketchbook because it prepared me more for the changes that take place here. You wouldn't necessarily need it, to enjoy the story, but . . I think it helped with the set-up, so then . . I could just enjoy the new direction . . soak it all in. This issue also introduced us to a new threat. Well . . actually two of them. The first is Chaparanga Beach. It's kind of like our airplane graveyard in Arizona, except it's a graveyard for spaceships. The problem is . . at any one time, people figure there's probably 3 to 5 of them that are actually functional. But that pales compared to the evidence that the X-Men have found that there may be a new form of mutant out there . . . triploids. Or, a mutant with 3 sets of chromosomes. However, the third is artificial, so that means . . they're man-made mutants . . as being a triploid doesn't occur naturally in human nature. For the first issue of this new direction, they really gave us a lot to thing about and swallow. I frikkin' love it! If you had any reservations about the continuation of this series, you can toss them to the wind. Buckle in and get ready for a hell of a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment