Thursday, July 17, 2008

the New Avengers #42 - Marvel


And in the next chapter of the Avengers . . . we learn how Jessica Drew was replaced. I have to say, the part that surprised me the most is how long this plan has been going on. The episode that happened at Ryker's Island . . where they had the huge prisoner escape that all started with Electro? That was all planned by the Skrulls. What they didn't plan is that event would be the catalyst that would reform the Avengers. So, this has been going on since the beginning of this book. And know that you know it, and look back . . it really all kind of makes sense. But they were also there for the whole M-Day thing. In fact Jessica was in regular contact with Hank who was in Genosha with the Avengers and the X-Men. So, when Wanda uttered her words, and the mutants disappeared . . were left with the question at the end of this book . . what happened to Jessica, since . . she is a mutant? That question's gonna hang until next month. First let me say that Brian Bendis and Jim Cheung, have done a fantastic job with this book. But I want to make an observation. There's been alot of upheavals in the Marvel Universe in the last couple of years. The thing that I'm afraid of, is that all of this has been done to create a 'do over', when this whole Invasion thing is over. What I mean is . . if there's a situation that didn't work out as well as expected . . all they have to do is say that, whomever it is, has been a Skrull this whole time, so whatever they did, and whatever the result, wasn't the real heroes fault. They bring back the old one, things go back to normal, and they get a free 'do over'. They could do it with Captain America, obviously they're going to do something with Hank Pym, they could do it with Hawkeye . . . hell, the list is endless. They could even do it to rescind the whole registration act . . . it could be Tony, or any number of government officials that were a Skrull, or influenced by them. On one hand, I have to admit, it's kind of a brilliant plan. On the other . . . it falls in to the same old comic book stereotype that things never really change. Just like people never really die. Yes it's a pretty elaborate thing to do, if that's the plan, but hey . . . what was the Secret War all about . . or the whole fiasco with the Beyonder . . . or 3 or 4 other 'big events' that never really changed anything? I'm not trying to sound jaded, but . . . I really think people want change. Yes people want to read about their favorite characters, and have them in familiar surroundings, but the best stories . . the ones that we really remember . . are the ones that dare to be different . . that try to bring something new or unexplored to the table. That's part of the reason that I think the Ultimate Universe books are so incredible. Anyways, I'm gonna get off my soap-box. I really did enjoy this issue. I'm just worried . . I feel like I can see the writing on the wall . . that we're just going to fall back in to the same old routine. However . . . I hope I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment