Thursday, July 24, 2008

the Amazing Spider-man #564 - Marvel


First of all, this issue is graced by a fantastic cover by Bachalo and Townsend. I realize they can't do the interiors of ever issue, so . . it's great to see them on the covers. The interior art is done by Paulo Siqueira. It is absolutely perfect. Paulo hasn't been on the scene that long, but I'll tell you what, this guy has made some incredible leaps in talent. Every single panel of this book was fantastic. I even had to read the story twice, because I was so into the images the first time. I remember when I first saw his work on Birds of Prey. I could tell he had talent then, but now . . he's really come a long way. This was an ok story. Basically, Peter's on his way to a job interview when he spots a car racing down the road putting everyone's life in danger. So being the responsible person he is . . he chases it down and finds out that it's Overdrive. They chase each other through town, and 2 or 3 car changes later Overdrive makes his getaway. But he did save the kids on the school-bus, and he got the sonic pulse generator that Overdrive had stolen. But that's not the end. We then see the same story but from Peter's room-mate's perspective, Officer Vince Gonzales. Then we see it from Overdrives perspective as he's getting beat up by Mr. Negative's goons for not returning with the pulse gun. They even had each section written by a different writer . . . Marc Guggenheim, Bob Gale and Dan Slott. I thought it was interesting, but there wasn't anything new that was really learned from the different point of views. They could've done the same thing with only 1 writer by just rearranging the story a bit. To me it was just a gimmick that really didn't offer any reward. However, it was all worth it for Paulo's art. I hope he comes back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment