Sunday, July 20, 2008

Jack of Fables #23 - Vertigo


I'm telling you . . I really don't know where Bill Willingham, and Matthew Sturges, pull these stories from. I could just see these two in a brain-storming session throwing ideas back and forth at each other. One of them probably comes up with some ridiculous idea, and then they probably just blurt out wherever they think the story could go from there. Honestly, there's really no rhyme or reason here. Other than the initial story premise. I'm not a big fan of Tony Akins' art, but . . I have to give the guy credit for keeping up with these two. What an arduous journey that must be. He's been on this book since it's inception, so . . he's kind of the heart of the book. I may not always like his style, but . . it's what I've come to expect when I pick up this title. And I'm never disappointed. Apparently were going to have some kind of showdown next issue, but this month . . Jack, and the Jack Candle gang, are right in the middle . . and they don't even know it. Jack, and his gang, is after someone who took his merchandise from a local gunsmith. I'm guessing it's John . . . he said he had black hair and an Indian side-kick. But then Jack is being pursued by Bigby and his talking horse. They're from the Golden Burroughs and they've been tasked with the assignment of finding and retrieving Jack. I wonder how many have been assigned that task over the years? Anyways, this issue is filled with Bill and Matt's usual ironic and sly humor. Again, I'm not sure how these guys construct their stories, but . . apparently it's effective for them. It's a crazy title, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment