Saturday, May 24, 2008

Young X-Men #2 - Marvel


We had more than a few revelations last issue. First of all Scott is putting together this team of young mutants in an attempt to form a new group of X-Men. They will be hand-picked, and hand-trained, by him. It seems that his most immediate target for this young group is the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Which he claims, now consists of Cannonball, Magma, Sunspot and Dani Moonstar. You remember . . the former New Mutants. We know that Sunspot has been the leader of the Hellfire Club for some time now. Actually, I think he inherited the position from his father. But how the others came to form this new group is anyone's guess. As of now, anyways. So in his make-shift "danger-room", Scott has begun training these kids with this specific task in mind. But, as the training progress', he decides that these kids don't have enough experience to attack the Brotherhood as a group. So he decided that instead they'll try to take down one member at a time. This issue they go after Dani and Magma. But things aren't going to go as easy as they thought. It appears that Blindfold knows more about what's going on then she's letting on to her teammates. Enough so that she knows that their new teammate, Ink, is going to betray them. I think, we're also very soon going to realize that this isn't actually Scott that's leading this new group. I may be wrong, but I have some suspicions. My first, obvious, guess is Mystique. I could be wrong. I could be way off base, but . . that's what I think. I think Ink is working with her, or whomever is in his place. I don't really know what other reason there could be for him having such a hard-on for the former New Mutants. But we'll have to wait for future issues to sort all of that out. This issue is graced with a beautiful Terry Dodson cover. I like what Marc Guggenheim is doing with this story. It's got enough mystery and intrigue that it's definitely keeping my interests. And he really seems to have a good handle on all of these characters. I do however have a complaint. An obvious theme with me . . I'm not thrilled with the art. I remember when Yanick Paquette first came on the scene . . way back when in Wonder Woman. I didn't really like his style, but I thought he would get better. And . . he has. However, I don't think his style, or approach, is consistent. At times, some of his frames almost have a Terry Dodson, or Stuart Immonen style to them. But then the very next panel with be this sketchy, frantic style that fills most of his pages. I mean, look at Dust in the 3rd panel of the second page, and then look at the characters in the frame directly below it. Look at Blindfold and Dust on pages 11 and 12, and then the way he draws the characters on page 13. Obviously the guy has talent. He draws good characters and scenes. It's just . . . I don't know. Maybe it's just me. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I like the concept and the story. I wish the art was better, but, maybe that's just me. This series has a ton of potential. I just hope they realize and embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment