Sunday, May 04, 2008

Catwoman #78 - DC


I have to say, this one had me a bit confused. This issue should actually take place before Salvation Run #5. In that issue, the Cheetah brings Catwoman to Lex, kind of like your pet cat puts a toy in your shoe sometimes when your not looking . . they want to garner favor from their master. I hate it when that happens. I know. Sometimes it's inevitable. But I would think that they'd be able to plan out the publications better. I know it shouldn't bother me, but, as I'm reading the issue, it's distracting me from the story because I keep thinking of this story in context with that one. Plus, what happened to Sickle & Hammer? In the Salvation Run issue, the Cheetah turns over Catwoman, but I don't remember seeing our pair of Ruskies. Did they take off, leaving Catwoman high & dry? Did they mingle in with the crowd and they're still in on the plan with Selina? That part wasn't really explained in either book. Meanwhile, back at home Slam Bradley is starting to worry about Selina. It isn't until he does a little digging that he finds out that she's not the only villain that's gone missing. There's a whole slew of the A-lists gone. But we knew that. I also don't think Selina told Slam what she decided to do with her daughter before she left . . his grand-daughter. Since this issue seems to be a little behind, it appears that Slam is a little behind the learning curve. He's trying to get information out of this Multiplex type kid. And it seems as if he's getting his way, until the end of the issue when the kid leads him into a trap. I'm not faulting Will Pfeifer, who did the story, I'm sure it was some kind of publishing snafu. But, like I said, to me when this happens, it distracts me and I don't enjoy the story as much. Overall I thought Will did a decent job. At least with what he had to work with. I still don't understand . . or see the reason . . for this whole Salvation Run thing. Other than killing off a few B-list villains . . I don't see what's to be gained. I like even less that Catwoman's even involved in it. Also, as I said with Freddie E Williams II and Pete Woods, I think David Lopez' art is a bit . . "vanilla" for my tastes. It's ok. It gives this book a certain feel. I'm just not overly thrilled with it. Sorry. Unfortunately though, I think we still have an issue or two of this before Selina finally makes it back to Gotham. O' Happy Day!

1 comment:

  1. This was the first issue of Catwoman I'd bought in a long time. The cover caught my eye (for obvious reasons), and I liked what I saw when I flipped through it. It is the first in what's most likely the last story arc as well (supposedly issue #81's the last Catwoman we'll see for awhile). Perhaps this was DC's plan to wrap things up? The beginning of an unforeseen end three month's ago?

    ReplyDelete