Wednesday, May 14, 2008

PainKiller Jane #4 & Terminator 2 #6 & #7 - Dynamite Entertainment

Ok, I figured out where I made my mistake at. I feel really silly to, but . . it happens sometimes. I read, and reviewed PainKiller Jane #5, and I was seriously confused about the story. I tried to make the most I could of it, but really . . I was just lost. Well . . . come to find out . . I'm sure ya'll out there knew about it . . Jane crossed over with Terminator 2. I did not know that. Then, to make matters even worse . . somehow . . I'm not gonna blame my pull guy . . but somehow I missed PainKiller Jane #4. If I had gotten that issue . . I would've known to be on the lookout for the Terminator books, and then, when I read issue #5, I wouldn't have felt like I just walked in to something that I'd never read or looked at before. I really had no clue. But, luckily #$%^ works with me, and he helped me find the books that I had missed. Also luckily . . I got PainKiller Jane #4, because he only had 1 issue left. I mean, yes I have other resources, but . . it's so much better when I can get everything in one place. Especially, now . . with the price of gas. But I don't even want to get started on that. Anyways, to make a long story short, even though I've already read and review PKJ #5, this time I went ahead and read all 4 issues in one sitting. It's much easier to digest that way. I thought the story was interesting. See I'm an old-timer. Well . . not old . . oldish . . I guess. Anyways, I remember the first Terminator movie, and . . I loved it. Then the second one, I thought, was ok. After that, I never really got in to it that much. I'm not a big fan of time-travel stories. I haven't tried to hide that from anybody. But, I have to say, when the Sarah Connor Chronicles showed on Fox a few months ago . . I thought it was incredible . . and intense. I also enjoyed the PKJ drama that showed last year. Now this series? Well . . it was ok. It wasn't really a team-up . . in the traditional sense. It was actually more like . . well, thier stories overlapped for a brief while. It turns out Jane had, or has, a daughter, and she's part of John Connor's resistance. Now, where it gets a little sketchy is . . in the future they've found the facility where they're attempting to use time-travel to fight the resistance in the past. They arrive as a Terminator is being whisked back. There's a second one, a female, that's on the launch pad, but is still in process. They do what they can to stop it, but all
the succeed in is altering it's destination. It arrives in NYC, the other side of the country from the first, and 20 years later. Obviously it lands right on Jane's and Maureen's doorstep. The resistance decides that they have to follow it to make sure that it doesn't do anything to screw up the future, or . . the present, in their case. So they decide to send someone back. I'm not sure why they made the choice, but they send Vanessa . . Jane's future daughter. They have no information from this time period, so they don't really know anything about Jane. Then, again for some reason, the girl Terminator decides to change her mission. Somehow, while looking on the internet, she makes the connection between Vanessa, an obvious threat to the SkyNet program, and Jane. So now she's decided to take Jane out. Anyways, long story short, Vanessa hooks up with Jane and Maureen. She has a brief moment, with parents she hasn't seen in god knows how long. She then decides that she's going to activate the machine's self-destruct sequence, and does so taking out the machine as well as herself. Which leaves Jane and Maureen to contemplate the possibility that the girls story is true. And this is why I don't like time-travel stories. There's to much left to conjecture. There's no way to truly, neatly, wrap up a story, because even in resolution, there's still just to many possibilities, or "what ifs?" out there. That's not to say I didn't enjoy all the action and drama. I thought Jimmy Palmiotti did a good job of keeping the story interesting. And, as with most time-travel stories, he did his best to keep all the questions answered and the other possibilities to a minimum. But, as is also inevitable with these stories, I think they eventually get to the point where they get out of the writer's control, and then it's just damage control to try to come to an acceptable resolution. I don't know. Maybe I just sound jaded. It just seems to me that you can't really do a time-travel story without a little bit of sloppy writing. But as I said, I still enjoyed the book. And, I really think this Dynamite Entertainment is doing a fantastic job of bringing some alternative titles to the stands. It seems like every month I end up picking out more and more. Also, I think I forgot to mention the artwork of Nigel Raynor. It's ok. It's not flashy, or fantastic, but . . it gets the job done. He's got his own unique style, and . . it grows on you. I liked the cross-over, but I'll be glad to get back to plain ol' PainKiller Jane stories next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment