Saturday, May 17, 2008

Spawn #177 - Image


I really like what David Hine and Brian Haberlin are doing with this book. David's stories have really explored the nuances of this new world that Spawn's created. It seems that his rule that the portals to heaven and hell being closed aren't exactly as specific as he thought. Everytime he turns around, it seems that he's getting some grief from someone who's been influenced by one or the other. And this Mammon . . or Malefik, as his mother knew him, as did Al and his brothers when they were kids . . really has it out for him. He's been causing him almost as much trouble as Malebogia did in the previous world. But the real problem is, by the end of this story, Al / Spawn feels like maybe it is time to quit. "He's right Nyx. Everything I touch turns rotten. This world doesn't need me any more. It's time for me to die." What does that mean exactly? I couldn't tell you because that's how the book ends. Aaargghh! I hate endings like that. On a positive note though, I thoroughly enjoyed Brian's pencils. I'm not sure what his inkers are doing differently, but it seems like every issue he gets closer and closer to looking like a painted style. This issue still isn't quite there . . but almost. And it still looks damn good. I also enjoy all the plot threads that have been started in the last couple of months. It's good to find out some more of Al's past. Long before he became Spawn. To me, Al's just as interesting a character as Spawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment