Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Huntress - Year One #1 - DC


I think this looks to be a fantastic mini-series. I know we all think we know the origin of the Huntress . . it's been told a couple of times, but not that many really. However, it's good to have a definitive version because even I don't know if the origin I remember it that of our Huntress, or maybe the Earth-2 Huntress. That's all a little sketchy to me. So as I reading this, I'm seeing parts of it that seem familiar, and make sense. However, there are other parts that are filling in a lot of the gaps that there is in this story. We start out the story with Helena Bertinelli in Sicily. She's probably in her mid 20's, and it seems to be about 10 or so years after her parents were killed. We see flashbacks of her as a child, but we don't get to much of the story from back then. Now that she's in her 20's, and knows who she is as a woman, it seems like the story is focusing on a strong-minded woman, in a mostly male dominated society. Especially in this "Mafioso" world that she lives in. Most of the women in this world do as they're told, and when they're told to do it. Helena, I think, wants to make her parents proud, and maybe wants to take charge of the family business, but . . this isn't a business where the women excel into the upper-management positions very readily. In fact, "almost never" would probably be putting it more succinctly. But Helena is nothing, if not determined, so . . we'll just have to see how she overcomes these obstacles. I think the Huntress is a very dynamic character and I can't wait to read more about her. I think Ivory Madison is doing a great job with the story . . from what I've seen so far. And, I particularly impressed with the pencils of Cliff Richards. There are some panels in this book that are absolutely stunning. I think it's a great first issue, and I can't wait to see how the rest of it plays out.

1 comment:

  1. I read this the other night. I agree the art is fantastic, and the story is very strong so far. It's nice that DC's releasing it every two weeks rather than once a month. I'm looking forward to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete