Sunday, May 25, 2008

Detective Comics #844 - DC



Well . . it looks like Scarface is dead again. Or . . at least his "handler", Peyton, is. This issue gives us the back-story on Peyton . . how she's connected to the Gotham crime families . . and how she's remotely connected to Bruce. My question is, why bring all of this information to us, if they're just going to kill her off anyways? To me, the most intriguing part of the story is the connection, or spark, between Bruce and Zatanna. She's, quite literally, throwing herself at him. In no uncertain terms does he know that she would entertain the idea of furthering their relationship. However, luckily for her, she's still level-headed and doesn't let her attraction cloud her judgement. Bruce turns her down, because . . "Part of me want to open every door to you. And the other part . . cares enough for you to keep them closed." She's no stranger to tragedy . . but, he's driven by it. But she knows, in her heart, when it will work . . and when it won't. "I can't be in a relationship with a man who is more passionate about his demons than he is about me. The one time I sparked the most passion from you was back in the League, when I betrayed you. It was an honest emotion . . . if we are to have anything more . . it has to come from a love that's just as honest. I don't know if you can give me that right now." Bruce asks her to forgive him, to which she responds . . "I always have." And all of that took place just on the last couple of pages. I really thought that this part foreshadowed the whole rest of the story. And, honestly, I don't think Zatanna's ever been more attractive than she appeared in this issue. I enjoyed Paul Dini's story, but I felt a lot of it was unnecessary. Dustin Nguyen was the penciller. I really want to say more positive stuff, but . . it's Dectective . . the weakest of the Bat-titles for quite a while. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment