Saturday, May 24, 2008

the Invincible Iron Man #1 - Marvel


Yet another book that I've picked up on a whim. I'm really not sure why. I do like Iron Man, but I haven't purchased any of the regular title. I did really enjoy the mini-series from the Ultimate Universe, however. I think, maybe, it's because we've been seeing so much of Tony in the New Avengers, and Mighty Avengers titles, that I thought maybe I should start picking up this too. And where better to start than issue #1. First of all, let me say, I love the Joe Quesada cover. That's not to say any of the other ones weren't equally as impressive, but . . this is the one I picked up. I haven't read a lot of Matt Fraction's stories, throughout the various Marvel titles, but, from what happened in this issue, and how it was told, I will say that I'm intrigued and look forward to seeing how he approaches this character. Iron Man, obviously, has a deep and long history, but from what I've read this issue, I think Matt will be able to build on that, or at least give us a different perspective in to the character. Finally, Salvador Larroca does the art on this issue. He does it in a painted style and it is incredible. I've been a fan of his since way back in the Danny Ketch Ghost Rider stories, but I've got to say this is some of his best work . . ever!! The panels and pages in this issue are just amazing. But actually, that's how I feel about the story also. This issue is titled, The Five Nightmares. It's the things that Tony has to worry about everyday of his life. First he's worried that somewhere along the line he'll decide to throw away his 6 years of sobriety. Secondly, he's worried that somewhere, somehow, the Iron Man would become cheap . . easily and afford-ably replicable. The third spins directly from the second, that someone other than he or Rhodey will start piloting Iron Man. The fourth is that Iron Man becomes disposable . . cheap and replaceable like a cell-phone . . unremarkable in every way. And finally . . the fifth one. The big one . . the bad one. That the person who would make the Iron Man cheap, easy to use, and disposable . . wouldn't be Tony. Which it appears is what this issue is all about, because it looks like Ezekiel Stane . . Tony's chief competitor . . has done just that. I have to say, for not having reach much of this characters stories before . . this one, I thought, was fantastic. It looks like I'll probably pick this title up, for the foreseeable future. Or, at least until I get bored with the story. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment