Saturday, May 17, 2008

Blue Beetle #26 - DC


Of the 26 issues of this book, I'd have to say that this one was my least favorite so far. It wasn't because of the Spanish thing . . specifically. It was actually more of the way that I had to read the book. If you don't know, this issue was billed as an all Spanish issue. Blue Beetle, Jamie Reyes, is after-all of Spanish origin. Which is fine. The premise is that he's taking Traci, his new girlfriend, to their family reunion to meet his relatives. However on the Leal side of his family . . no one speaks English. Rather than subtitle everything, they just went with the flow of any other family talking and catching up. But, since they're Spanish, everything's in Spanish. I get that. But, then in the back of the book, they have each page broke down by the word balloons and everything translated for us. Which is good, because while I know a little Spanish, I don't know enough for all the conversations. The problem I had though is that I had to look at the page, and then flip back and read the word balloons. And then look at the pictures again to fit the conversations with the pictures I already looked at. It was just . . disrupting. Like I said, I get what they were trying to do. It was a neat concept. However I think the execution didn't favor a smooth reading experience. You know what I mean? Anyways, Jamie introduces Traci to the family. He finds out that his Grandma knows his secret, and that the whole family stands behind him. "The last thing you need to worry about is whether or not your family supports you, Jaime. We love you and trust you and know you're doing what's right for all of us and all of El Paso." He ends up fighting, and beating, the Parasite. He attacked the Posse and took all of their powers, and then he was going to come after Jaime. That is until Jamie came to him. Next issue Will Pfeifer comes on board as the scripter. I don't know if it's a permanent thing, but it looks like it's at least for the next couple of issues. I really like this book, and this character. I think it's come a long way since it first started.

No comments:

Post a Comment