Saturday, May 24, 2008

Batman - Death Mask #2 - DC



I have to admit that this book is intriguing. I'm not really a big fan of the manga style. I'd like to think that I'm open minded enough that it's not just because it's completely opposite of the "American" story telling style . . right to left, back to front, and all that . . it's just the artwork doesn't really excite me. Most of the character drawings are ok . . some great . . also there seems to be a lot of movement and action within the frames. But there's little or no backgrounds. And since there's not a lot of shading, just the lines and inks on most characters, it just makes it kind of . . plain. At least, that's the best way I can describe it. Maybe this has something to do with how the story should be interpreted . . it seems like we go back and forth a lot, a few frames with detailed background and then a page of nothing. Also the action scenes seem to be more colored and shaded than the rest. I'm sure it all means something . . I just don't get it. Anyways, as I was saying, despite my lack of experience with the medium, I do still find the story interesting. Yoshinori Natsume is obviously a very talented story teller. Most of these first 2 issues have been telling the background of the story, or more specifically the mask. But at the end of this issue, we are again back in the present, and Batman/Bruce is starting to see that what's happening currently in Gotham, may be related to the time he spent in that little Dojo. It seems like these 2 issues were just the prelude . . the real action begins next issue. It should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment