Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ultimate X-Men #93 - Marvel


Now this one . . this one I really enjoyed the ending. I would have to say, this was the best Ultimate X-Men book I've read in quite some time. We ended last issue with Sinister, who has turned in to Apocalypse, having beat down the entire X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and some SHIELD agents to boot. But they Jean got pissed off, as it looked like Apocalypse was going to kill Charles, and begged for the Phoenix to take over her body. Now, for the first 12 pages of this issue, we watch the Phoenix give Apocalypse the whipping he deserves. On the final page of the fight he's begging for mercy. She then informs Scott, and the rest of the X-Men, that it's time for her to leave. As the Phoenix, she's been away for far to long and she has much to do. But before leaving, she chastises Charles for not living up to his potential. "You should be ashamed of yourself. There is so much potential in you, Charles Xavier . . so much you could accomplish . . . I expect you to start over." And with that . . . everything is back to normal. The X-Men are back at the mansion. The rest of the world doesn't remember what just happened, including the FF and SHIELD. And Charles is filled with a renewed sense of purpose. The X-Men still remember, but they don't know how to process the information because they feel like they just came out of a bad dream. Charles tells them all, " . . the Phoenix is an agent of change . . driven to bring about a rebirth, literal or not, to this world. We're going to help her, my X-Men. We're going to change the world." Like I said, I really enjoyed the final chapter of this story. I like the way it all played out. Also, this issue, permanent or not, we get a new artist. Harvey Tolibao does the artwork for this issue. I've never heard of the guy before, but I gotta say . . it's fantastic. Some of the scenes on the first couple of pages, with Phoenix and Apocalypse going at it . . are breathtaking. Whomever this guy is, he's an incredible talent. They really need to hang on to him. But me? I'm just glad this book is finally coming around and keeping my interest. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment