Sunday, May 18, 2008

the War that Time Forgot #1 - DC


I really was on the edge about picking up this book. I never was really a big War-Story person, but then I read someplace that this title may somehow be remotely tied to the Final Crisis stuff that's going on this summer. I'm sure it will be a very remote association, but, I guess we'll just have to wait and see about that. Anyways, as I said, I was on the fence until I got to the shop and saw it sitting on the counter. First of all it has a fantastic Neal Adams cover. For regular price. Then I opened it up to look at Al Barrionuevo's art, and it is stunning. I thought Bruce Jones did a pretty decent job with the story. It's kind of hard to tell right now, because this one, really, is just the set-up issue. We see all these soldiers, or war-heroes, popping in on this island from all different time-periods. There's actually quite a few that are already there. The real problem though, is all of them getting along long enough to not be eaten by all the various dinosaurs that also live there. At the end a new warrior pops in . . a woman . . who definitely looks like she's from the distant future. Overall I liked the book. Bruce is definitely a talented scribe, and I've been a huge fan of Al's art. So with the Neal Adam's covers I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. It looks like next issue's cover is by Brian Bolland. It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds, and where they go with it. What the heck? I mean, I'm reading Western books, so why not some War stories. I might as well keep my reading interests eclectic.

No comments:

Post a Comment