Sunday, May 25, 2008

Gen13 #20 - WildStorm



This issue wraps up the previous few issues where IO has gone after the escaped Gens . . kind of. What I mean is, they've tracked them, they've observed them, and now when at any time it would seem like their main goal should be their re-apprehension, and obviously taken back for deprogramming . . . they've decided to make something akin to an MTV reality show out of it. But it's also a pay-per-view reality show. Apparently since they can't use thier talents for covert ops any more, they've decided to do something like a web-cam broadcast, selling the show to viewers and letting them pay for when and how they're killed or beat-up, or whatever. So they get other Gens . . from different series, obviously . . to act like their friends. And all of this is so that they can gain their confidence, and then when instructed . . they can kill them. Oh yeah, and the actors playing their friends, have bombs planted in their heads, just in case they decide not to do what they're told. Good incentive plan. It doesn't do much for employee retention . . but at least they follow orders. Anyways, this issue wraps all of that up. And honestly . . . it was lame. It was predictable . . and it was lame. And besides that . . did I mention it was lame? I love this book. Not this particular issue . . but, these characters, and this series . . I love 'em. I was so disappointed in this issue. Because of all the stuff going on in the WildStorm Universe, I think this was supposed to be the last issue. But according to the next issue blurb . . it'll be back in 2 months. Which I really am glad. Personally, I just hope they've made some creative changes for when they come back. The part that really bothered me? The artwork of Wes Craig. I really thought this guy was showing some promise in the Revelations mini-series. I really thought he was showing some growth. Then in this series . . . there's actually a dead guy on page 12 with X's for eyes. I was really disappointed. If this truly was the end of the series . . it would've been the worst final issue ever. Well . . maybe not . . but it would've been close. Please, put some creativity behind these characters. They're a great bunch of kids, and they deserve at least that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment