Sunday, May 18, 2008

Midnighter #19 - WildStorm


This issue wraps up the Generation 8 story-line. Remember, a couple of issues ago, somebody . . or somebodies, sicked this rabid dog on the Authority. Or more specifically, the Midnighter. I guess they thought that he was the weak point in their security. He actually made it to the ship, but the rest of the team made pretty short work of him. He tried to take them out 1 at a time, but when he got to Jenny, she simply said "door", and he was back in the Midnighter's house. However, he wasn't dissuaded, because this is literally what he had been trained, and bred, for. But, as with most protagonists, they severely underestimated the Midnighters talents and resolve. They think of the Midnighter as an "anti-hero", a thug, a fighter. But what they don't realize is that he doesn't do any of that because he has to. To him, it's not his job. That's literally, who he is. It's his whole life. He doesn't think about it, because it's every cell of his being. To him, taking out an opponent is like breathing. It's as natural as sweating, or growing your hair. At the end, as he's got him on the ropes, he tells him "You forgot one thing. I live for this. It's who I am, what I do and I . . love it. You asked me if I'd thought this through. I always think it through. Consider my options. Doesn't mean I always opt for the quickest kill. Sometimes I'm in the mood to savor the process, wring every last bit of enjoyment out of it before ending it the only way it can ever end . . . just like this." But with that, his civilian identity in Harmony is pretty much kaput. And Midnighter walks off into the sunset with "gen-8" over his shoulder, and Mindy being left behind. I think there's one more issue, but that may be the end of this series. That's to bad. I felt that Keith Giffen was just hitting his stride. Also Lee Garbett was coming along as a pretty talented artist. I hope this isn't the end, but with everything else that's going on in the Wildstorm Universe, I think it may have to be . . for a while. Sad!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had no idea the current Midnighter run is wrapping up with issue #20. Oddly enough, I just picked up this issue along with 16 & 18 today. I had abandoned the series after issue 14 because I wasn't digging the whole Anthem storyline and the art. It's really a shame Wildstorm is not continuing this title. I really love the character.

    P.S. I just read yesterday that the current Catwoman run is ending with issue #82. Ahhhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete