Sunday, May 18, 2008

Green Lantern #30 - DC


With all the stuff that's been coming out lately . . 1 per 10 books, 1 per 25, so on and so on, it just seems like there's been a plethora of variant covers. Some are good . . some are just ok. There's been a few that I actually liked the regular cover better than the variant. And for the most part I think I've been pretty good about what I pick up. I don't just buy to buy, I'm picky about what I'm paying extra for. Last Wednesday I did pay $25 for the Batman variant, but . . it's the start of the RIP storyline. Anyways, the point of all this is, when this book came out, I was asking my guy about variants and he showed me a copy of this one. I said "I don't get it?" What had happened was he received 2 copies of this book that just didn't have covers at all. The cover was the title page of the book. He told me he'd sell me one for $10, but I passed. I appreciate the variants. And I especially like them when they have a cover by, say . . Neal Adams. But I can't see buying a book just because it has a printing error. To my guys credit, I think he was just joking. But I know there's people out there that actually would try to sell that stuff. Anyways, time to get off of my soapbox. This was a fantastic issue. Geoff Johns is doing an incredible job with this Secret Origin story-line. When I first heard about it, I thought "How many time can we redo this guys origin?", but this one . . is completely different. This one covers everything leading up to Hal Jordan becoming Green Lantern. We even get to see the final mission that Abin Sur was on before he died when he crash landed on Earth. How come nobody else ever asked why Abin Sur was in a spacecraft when he was a Green Lantern and could fly through space under his ring's propulsion? Well . . that question is answered here. And even back then, Abin Sur was trying to figure out the mysteries of "Blackest Night". We get to see Tom and Carol again, and a Hector Hammond that . . well . . I can't say that we've ever seen him like this before. Ivan Reis is a force to be reckoned with. He is an incredible talent and I hope he never leaves this book. His stuff is perfect. There's a panel in here with Carol walking through the door in a mauve dress . . trying to look business-like, and . . she is HOT! If you haven't been picking up this book, now is the perfect time. Just start with last issue . . and you're golden. You won't regret it. Between story and art . . this is almost the perfect book. Smokin'!!

No comments:

Post a Comment