Saturday, May 03, 2008

Noble Causes #32 - Image


I have to say, I was a little worried about reading this issue. It has, after all, been about 8 months since the last issue, #31, came out. I really thought I was going to be lost. But this story, actually, takes place about 5 years after the ending of the last one. Jay Faerber has really set this up as a jumping on point for new readers. Basically, you could come in with this story, not having read anything in the past. In fact . . it may be better because you wouldn't be allowing any preconceived notions, or relationships to cloud your vision when you're trying to soak in this new story. But . . it couldn't hurt either. I will say, however, that I was excited to see the book back in the rotation again, when I got to the shop. I've been a fan of this book ever since it's first mini-series. I'm glad that Jay's getting it back out on a regular schedule again. In Jay's usual fashion, he gives us just enough information this issue to pique our curiosity, but not enough to spoil things yet. There's a whole lot of "What the f#$@!?" moments in here. He's got new heroes and new villains. And, right off the bat, someone isn't whom they appear to be. You'd think the Nobles would be used to that. Or . . they'd at least have a better screening process. If Gaia was still around, she would've been all over it. Even if you've never picked up this book before . . now is the perfect time to jump on board. Even if you don't know all the intricacies of the relationships . . or the family unit . . you can still appreciate Jay's fantastic writing and handling of various character's personalities. He's an absolute master of his craft. With the new story-line, it looks like we're getting another new penciller. This issues art is by Yildiray Cinar. I assume this is a guy . . but I've been wrong before, but I have to say for the first time out, he drew a pretty good issue. I wasn't sure at first, but, by the end, the style fit perfectly with the book. I can't wait to get this book back in my regular rotation again.

2 comments:

  1. I met Jay last weekend at the Emerald City ComicCon. He was great to talk with and I got signed copies of the most recent two issues of Noble Causes. I have been interested in picked this title up for a long time and seeing him at the convention was a great excuse to finally pick them up! A great read... I can't wait for the next issue!

    I have also seen the large trade for Noble Causes show up at my local comic shop recently. I am a little undecided if I will pick it up. It looks like I have joined the story in a spot where I don't need to read the earlier issues, but it still might be fun to check it out.

    Ronn Roxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I would say, if you have a chance, try to pick up the earlier stories and read them. They're actually quite good. I like where the new issue picks up, in the timeline, and you don't really need the earlier stories to enjoy what's going on. But, to me, Jay put an almost "soap-opera" type feel into the stories, especially the earlier ones, which, once you start reading them, makes you want to immerse yourself in the whole drama. In my opinion, it would be worth rereading the whole thing. But . . that's just me.

    ReplyDelete