Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wonder Woman #20 - DC


This is the issue where Gail Simone starts Wonder Woman's new direction . . with the help of Aaron Lopresti. I think that's fantastic. I have been a huge fan of Aaron's for quite a while, and I really think he'll bring something special to this book. I think I first came across Aaron's work back in the early 90's when he did Sludge for Ultraverse. Remember that? Anyways, I was impressed them, but now? Now it seems like he's leaps and bounds from that early work. He really put together a beautiful book here. I especially liked the scenes in the beginning when Wonder Woman is out in the snow fighting the wolves. We see some of Diana's work with the DEO here, but she's also been put under the control of . . somebody. We're not sure who. It could be Loki, or Neron, or Ares . . or any number of people. We don't learn his identity this issue. But, apparently he's sent her off to the magical realms to garner the assistance of Beowulf. It appears there's some task that this mysterious figure needs her to complete, but in her current state . . "Her compassion made her . . unable to complete the job at hand. There's something I need her to kill. On my world, he is known as D'grth. I believe you call him . . the Devil." It looks like . . with this story-arc . . that Wonder Woman is going the be entering the worlds of Swords & Sorcery. That's someplace we haven't seen her very often. I think this trip will be pretty interesting. Also, I'm thrilled to death that Aaron is on board for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment