Sunday, May 11, 2008

Number of the Beast #2 - Wildstorm


I've been thinking about this book . . the last couple of days, and I finally realized what it reminds me of . . . the Matrix. Seriously! It's almost as if they've just taken the idea from the movie, and stuck it in to this particular situation. What we have here is, all the hero's that disappeared after WWII. Basically, they were all put in stasis, and fed stories about the world so that in their minds they believed that nothing ever happened. Their memory of the final moments of the war were probably erased, and then they just started their world over in their own little Utopia. But, there's a couple of problems. First of all, there appears to be some bad-guys, as well as good. So the dynamic of their relationships has remained constant throughout the process. Secondly, it appears that over the course of time, other heroes were added. I'm not exactly sure how they work out the semantics of throwing someone in to their world, but . . so far it's gone off without a hitch. So far! At the beginning of issue one, they put someone, we haven't really found out who yet, in to a container after he was pretty much pureed. They thought he was dead, but they didn't want to take any chances. Turns out . . he's still alive . . some how. Now I'm guessing here but I think that the trauma of being pureed would be something that would be a little hard to completely erase. So I'm guessing that's how he's able to change the environment, just by entering. The people monitoring the systems don't know exactly what's going on yet, but I'm sure they'll be able to put the pieces together pretty soon. Shortly after he entered the mix, all the people that weren't actual consciousness', started disappearing. The back-ground people. The extras. The people that all the en-captured people created to make their situation seem more normal. So now it appears that this is how the trouble is going to get started. Well . . that and this guy that apparently disappears every now and then, but on the last page . . he's back. I'm not sure what the signifigance is, but somehow it's important. I like the story so far. Although I'm not overly thrilled with stealing someone else's idea, however . . it's not exactly the same . . the concepts are just similar. I'm sure when we get the rest of the pieces of the puzzle, some things may not be exactly how I'm guessing. Scott Beatty does the story, and Chris Sprouse does the art. After reading the Revelations story-line, it seems like we pretty much know who these characters are . . or at least their situation. But, like I said, sometimes when it comes down to it, we get a curve-ball and all our preconceived ideas are thrown out the window. We'll see if that happens here. And I'm still a little fuzzy about what's happening to the WildStorm Universe because of all of this. Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment